How Our Funding Package Works: Details of Financial Support.
UofT provides base funding to students provided they maintain satisfactory progress toward completion of their degree.
The base funding package for 2020-2021 is calculated as:
Financial Support $18,000
Tuition, Incidental Fees $8,000 (estimate)
For more information, please see the Faculty of Arts & Sciences graduate funding page.
Financial support comes from various sources, and base funding may change from year to year throughout the course of a program:
- Please note that the funding package will include any scholarships awarded by UofT (such as Connaughts), as well as any scholarships offered by external sources (such as SSHRC, CIHR, NSERC, Ontario Graduate Scholarship, or FQRNT/FQRSC).
- A portion of the funding package will normally include Teaching Assistant (T.A.) hours. For 2020-2021, up to $8,200 in TA income may be counted toward base funding. Almost all of our M.A. and Ph.D. students participate in these teaching programs alongside faculty members, and our funding package is conditional on the student’s willingness to accept teaching assignments
- WGSI Teaching Assistant positions are typically posted in late June or early July. Students without external awards must apply for a TAship. Those who do not apply for a TAship forfeit that portion of the funding package. TAs are paid monthly via payroll. The employment process is coordinated by the Undergraduate Coordinator and the Business Officer.
- The final portion of the funding commitment will consist of the University of Toronto Fellowship (UTF).
- Tuition, incidental fees, and UHIP (University Health Insurance Plan): if applicable, is determined in June.
In addition to the funding provided through scholarships, T.A. and R.A. responsibilities, and fellowships, students may be able to enhance their support through the following:
- Additional Teaching Assistant (TA) positions;
- Additional Research Assistant (RA) positions;
- Additional Departmental and University awards and scholarships; and
- Additional External awards and scholarships.
Students receive UTF stipend payments via ACORN (on-line UofT student account) in three instalments (September, January and May). Separate UTF tuition payments will cover fees. Please ensure your bank information and mailing address are current on ACORN.
WGSI Teaching Assistant positions are typically posted in late June or early July. Students without external awards must apply for a TAship. Those who do not apply for a TAship forfeit that portion of the funding package. TAs are paid monthly via payroll. The employment process is coordinated by the Undergraduate Coordinator and the Business Officer.
Students holding an external award (OGS, SSHRC, etc.) receive payments in three instalments (September, January, and May). If you hold an external award, you may also hold a TAship and have an admission award. Students who hold admission awards receive payment in September via ACORN.
Students in the funded cohort of WGSI graduate programs receive an annual graduate student funding letter in early August with details of their funding. Questions related to graduate student funding should be addressed to Paul Tsang, Business Officer.