On January 17, prison abolition activists from across the country released Choosing Real Safety: A Historic Declaration to Divest from Policing and Prisons and Build Safer Communities for All.
We are encouraging member locals to sign the statement. Our commitment to accessible and equitable education is rooted in challenging colonial, racial, gender, sexual and economic oppression. With this historical movement, we can stop the expansion of prisons and policing and invest in real safety for our communities by addressing the root causes of harm and violence in our society.
This year, students and faculty from across the country organized strikes for Black and Indigenous lives. Signing this statement is a continuation of that movement to ensure that our communities are safe from state violence. You can also continue your support by actively engaging your members in this issue.
Please consider supporting by:
- Sign the statement Choosing Real Safety: A Historic Declaration to Divest from Policing and Prisons and Build Safer Communities For All. The statement is also available in French.
- Share the statement with member locals and other community partners.
- Post the statement on your social media and in your e-newsletter. You can use these images and draft messages.
- Join the press conference to release the statement with all of the signatories (to be announced).
- Consider writing an op-ed to your campus paper about the call for prison abolition.
- Host a workshop or panel discussion for your members about prison and police abolition.
Thank you for your time and attention.
In solidarity, until everyone is free,